We know you love your furry, four-legged friends! Owning pets has real health benefits, but can also add to falls risks. Here are some tips to keep you from literally going head-over-heels for them:
- Don’t step over pets on the floor – make them move.
- Keep pet toys and supplies out of walkways.
- Check around you to see where your pets are before walking, especially on steps and near doorways.
- Use nightlights to help you see your pets in the dark.
- Put a collar with a bell on your pet so that you can hear when it is near.
- Teach your pets not to jump up on you or others while standing.
- If your pet is large or powerful enough to push or pull you over, ask for help walking it or consider obedience classes to teach proper leash behavior.
- Make sure your pet gets an appropriate amount of exercise; this will help it behave at home.
- Keep water and food bowls out of walkways and clean up spills immediately.