We know you love your furry, four-legged friends! Owning pets has real health benefits, but can also add to falls risks. Here are some tips to help Prevent Falls at Home with Pets and keep you from literally going head-over-heels for them:
- Don’t step over pets on the floor – make them move.
- Keep pet toys and supplies out of walkways.
- Check around you to see where your pets are before walking, especially on steps and near doorways.
- Use nightlights to help you see your pets in the dark.
- Put a collar with a bell on your pet so that you can hear when it is near.
- Teach your pets not to jump up on you or others while standing.
- If your pet is large or powerful enough to push or pull you over, ask for help walking it or consider obedience classes to teach proper leash behavior.
- Make sure your pet gets an appropriate amount of exercise; this will help it behave at home.
- Keep water and food bowls out of walkways and clean up spills immediately.