Are there things in the kitchen that could be adapted so they are easier for the senior to reach or use or so that the senior can get around more easily and safely?
Here’s an example of things to look for in a kitchen:
- Are cabinets easy to open?
- Are dishes easily reached?
- Can the senior sit while preparing meals?
- Are counter tops at a comfortable level?
- Are stove controls easy to see and easy to manipulate?
- Are there kitchen rugs or mats that pose a slipping hazard?
- Can the senior reach and easily turn on the faucet?
- Is the water temperature low enough so that it doesn’t scald?
- Is there enough light?